Monday 17 September 2012

Who would have thought...


So the time is near...5 Day's and 18 hours from now to be exact, I'll be running my first half marathon.  Over the weekend and friend and I went out and ran 17.5Km of the half marathon course as a "dry run".  With the help of his son riding his bike behind us as our 'water boy'  we ran a avg pace of 5:43 min/km.
The course is absolutely beautiful.

The World Alzheimer's Day 'Run for Heroes' Marathon is a very important race for me. I ran the 5km there last year, it was my first 5km race ever. So to come back one year later and run the half blows my mind a bit. It's also a very important run to me for the cause it supports. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease that has hit home to me twice. I had a Grandmother and a Grandfather who had Alzheimer's. It was horrible to see them go through it, and also horrible to see the family trying to care for them.


The World Alzheimer's Day 'Run for Heroes' Marathon was created by Chris Uszynski to honour his Mother. Chris’s Father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 20 years ago and has lived at home, with his wife as the primary caregiver for all of these years. She is his Hero.

Another amazing thing that will be going on at this race is for the first time portable EKG will be used on 26 racers. The cardiophone, designed for The Windsor Cardiac Centre, is a wireless heart monitor that will transmit data on the electrical activity of their hearts during the race to the cardiac centre. The cardiologist said the cardiophone has a chip like a SIM card inside that connects to a satellite, which will send data to the centre in Windsor where it will be analyzed. That information will be shared with the runners after the race. And your's truly will be one of the 26 racers wired up with one of these really awesome cardiophones.

70,000 Canadians die every year from heart or stroke causes – one every seven minutes – making it the number one killer in Canada of both men and women.









I'm very proud to take part of this race, and to be part of the research.  The day will be here before I know it.  This week will be a 6km and a 8km run, probablay sneak in a bike ride in the middle.  Let's hope my IT band holds up!  Happy running everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment