Tuesday 11 September 2012

Damn you Gluten, Why do you taste so good!

Think about that soft, warm, fresh baked bread....Yum, right? Well, you might be causing yourself some major health issues.  Some of you may know what gluten is, some may have heard it in passing.  Let me tell you one thing, since I have been GF (gluten free), my insides have never felt better.  I went GF because of my oldest daughter.

My oldest daughter was a bit of a complainer, or so I thought.  It seemed that "too tight" was her favorite thing to say.  Her clothes, the seat belt, everything was too tight.  I can't even tell you how many battles I had with her about things being too tight.  This went on for years.  It never made any sense.  Fast forward a couple years, we had house guest for the weekend and my daughter was sleeping in my room.  I get woken up by her Mom yelling "She's chocking!", I turn on the light to find my daughter having a seizure.  One image that will haunt me for the rest of my life.  Paramedics are called, and they rush her to the hospital.  they checked her out and didn't have any answers but that she had a Grand Mal seizure.  They gave us a referral for a neurologist, an EEG and a  MRI.  After test and test and test, seizure after seizure, my little trooper still had no answers.  I won't go into the whole story as it's way to long.  We waited and waited to get in to the local pediatric Neurologist, and a friend had another look at her file for us.  The response, "Have her tested for gluten and celiac.", say what?  I had never even heard of gluten or celiac.

So we have her tested and she's off the charts.  We immediately take her off gluten. Huh, no more seizures.  And all the clothes that were "Too tight", she now loves, poor kid was always so bloated from the gluten.

Now, a GF diet is not the easiest to get used to.  You will find it everywhere and not just in the obvious places.  It's used in a lot of products as filler.  It's been a battle getting used to eating GF and finding what's yummy, and well what bread taste like a cinder block.  Pasta was the thing I dreaded most, but I actually love GF pasta.  Since I've been GF I feel a 100 times better too.  I'm also happy to report that my GF daughter is a happy, healthy, kid.

So is Gluten Free right for you?  Do your research, there's a million articles on the web about the subject. 

Link to Celiac Canada
Livestong.com has a great article about Why is gluten bad for me?. 



3 comments:

  1. Hello Sean,
    Just a quick message to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter. I am currently following you now and am awaiting for your follow-back. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘anytime’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners & #Marathoners who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned…)

    All the very best to you and yours for the rest of 2012 and beyond Sean. Look forward to hearing from you…

    Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post.. and a very unfortunate one :(
    Most people do have reactions to gluten and many other grains without even realizing it. I read "It Starts With Food," which is the basis for the Whole30 program (but you can google Whole30 and find TONS of info) and it is just amazing how so many people (self included) don't realize the junk that is in the "Standard American Diet." Sure whole grains and soy-replacements sound great and all, but they're all huge gut irritants.. and you don't know that until you eliminate them and try to go back.
    That's my rant.. I am committing to 30 days of this, but know I will likely still enjoy an occasional bread basket or pizza, but reading labels is enough to totally turn someone off from store-bought foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. The more research I do, the more I'm discussed by the food we eat. I much prefer foods with one ingredient, and that are fresh!

      Delete